Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Debrief and Re-entry in Croatia

Wow! If you ever have a chance to visit the Adriatic, pick Croatia. Dubrovnik is beautiful!

Originally i picked Croatia over Austria because it was cheaper. This was a risky choice because in Austria everything is taken care of for us and I've been there twice and other staff were there before me. In Croatia I didn't know where to stay, if it would be what it said it was online, where we would eat, where we would meet, where to exchange money, etc. God was definitely in control of the whole process!
I found a great hostel right in the center of Dubrovnik, right by the sea. I saw pictures but didn't know what it would be like. It was amazing. Literally 5 minutes from the main walking street and 6 minutes from the sea, we could see it from our patio! Our rooms were small but livable. Our hosts were so nice, they showed us where everything was after picking us up from the bus station and they also showed us on a map how to get there, they suggested good restaurants, and gave us traditional Dubrovnik snacks! If you ever want to go to Croatia check out Begovic boarding house.

It was also great to hear how God had been at work during the summer in each person's life and how they were going to apply it. Some students were struck by the lack of opportunities and corruption in the University system, some touched by the depth of friendships, others the poverty and unemployment. Each student came away with commitments for their life and time on campus. Some made commitments to pray every time they drink coffee, some to take more risks with their friends at home, and others to step up in leadership. Every student learned something about living in community that I pray will spread throughout the rest of the fellowship.

I feel like this summer God was teaching me about community and faith.
In community I was challenged to be vulnerable 24/7 with my team, to depend on them and let them help me when I needed help and admit that I couldn't do it on my own. That was hard for me but I didn't have any other choice and my team was so great, they really were the hugest blessing this summer. Praise God for a great team! They all have unique gifts that they brought to the team and they were intentional about initiating and leading in their strengths! I need to not be independent but trust those in my community.
In faith I was challenged to examine what I really believe. I have learned in the last few months that i have the gift of faith, I really believe God will provide when he calls me to something, i believe he wants the best for my life, including healing. But this summer I wrestled with the situation of believing but not yet receiving and what does faith look like then. My team prayed for me and shared great scripture with me. I don't know if i ever told you but we prayed together every morning at breakfast and every night after sharing stories from the day, before we would go to sleep. Prayer was something I initiated but they continued to make happen every day- so great! Anyway, I'm going to keep praying and believing.

All our flights went well and we're all back home safely!

Thank you all so much for praying for me and our team this summer. Your prayers made it happen! You were there with us.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great stories and of course God was faithful. I wish I could have been on the team experiencing all that God had for you. Joseph

Anonymous said...

Welcome home, Melissa. Enjoyed reading your blog and hearing how God worked through you and your team. Want to catch up in person soon! Jan